How long does it take to learn Python for Data Science in 2023• 3 min
So you want to learn Python to become a Data Scientist in 2023?
Well, that's GREAT!
Python is still today one of the best languages for data manipulation, data exploration, and machine learning.
Python will help you achieve many things.
For example :
- automate the borings tasks that you have to do on a daily basis
- create an application that will put together data fetched from the web
- analyze the Twitter sentiment of a company on a daily basis
- build and generate financial reports
- detect patterns to eliminate fraud
- build web applications
- and much more
Here is a tentative structure that will give you an estimation of how long does it take to learn Python.
This is how I would start again from scratch if I were to forget everything I know.
1. Fundamentals: 1 week to 2 weeks
You won't be able to skip the fundamentals. I would personally go through all of this stuff then
- Learn what kind of data python can store types.
- Learn how to create, store and use variables.
- Learn how to manipulate lists and dictionaries.
- Learn how to do maths.
- Learn how to apply logic with conditional statements.
- Learn how to apply AI with simple if conditions.
- Learn how to do something multiple times over.
- Learn how to iterate on lists and dictionaries.
- Learn how to store pieces of code you can reuse.
- Learn how to use other people code
2. Data Manipulation: 2 weeks to 3 weeks
- How to read external files (Excel, CSV, JSON, etc...)
- How to read web pages
- How to manipulate DataFrames
- How to do statistics on your data
- How to do an exploratory analysis
- How to do some hypothesis testing
- How to do some simple Machine Learning
- How to store your results
Libraries: Pandas, Numpy
3. Data Visualisation: 0.5 week to 1 week
- How to do a line plot, box plot, etc...
- How to make it visually appealing and self-explanatory.
- How to generate reports
Libraries: Matplotlib, Seaborn
4. Automations: 1 week
- How to create automation scripts
- How to make automatic reports
To sum up, I would say that you could master most of the basic tools that a Data Scientist would need in a little bit more than a month.
You can find a lot of resources on this blog for free.
Here you are!
You now know how long it will take you to learn Python in 2023!
Don't give up, give yourself some time, rest and you will be able to master Python in no time.